Finished and successful – even the felting part didn’t cause me any problems. They’re cute as a trio – it’s such a shame to split them up. Our Easter guests had fun with their little Easter egg hunt and the Schmeebot bunnies helped out by hanging onto their baskets and overseeing the hunters. Pattern: Schmeebot rabbit Yarn: Patons Classic Wool Needles: 5 mm dpn (green and orange rabbits), 6 mm dpn (grey rabbit) Modifications: Played with length of arms and legs. Tried garter st ears on one of the bunnies instead of read more
Easter is coming and I had this last minute idea to knit some bunnies for my little bunny and his cousins’ Easter baskets. The Schmeebot bunny piqued my interest quite a while back and now I have a reason to knit it! Or should I say three of them. Here are the gangly legged bunnies before they’re felted and finished off. The grey one is knit on larger (too large) needles. The orange one is knit completely on two dpns like i-cord. For the larger sections read more
Not in the literal sense. I’ve really been wanting a mindless knit. I love knitting someone else’s designs because I don’t have to figure out stitch counts or calculate the rate of decrease for raglans or any of those things. I also learn a lot from other designers – the way they word their instructions or sometimes a unique construction technique. I started in right away with a gauge swatch using the Peruvian Highland Wool I received on Friday. I’ve been wanting to knit Bonne Marie Burns’ Ribby Cardi pattern from ChicKnits. read more
I like to have a simple stocking stitch sock on the needles and I keep it beside my computer. When I’m reading blogs or email or waiting for pages to load I pick it up and knit a few more stitches. It’s amazing how quickly it grows. I’ve just finished my latest pair. This is a toe-up sock à la Cat Bordhi. I took a workshop with her last fall which you can read about here and she gave some of read more
After carefully bundling the slippers in a pillowcase and then subjecting them to the hot water cycle in the washing machine, they started to shrink and felt. It took two or three cycles and they are somewhat uneven – I even tried to hand felt the sections that didn’t seem to be felting as quickly as the rest. All in all, I managed to felt them down to my size and the felted fabric is nice and dense without any stitch definition – just like my swatch. It actually worked! read more
The knitting is done. A quick knit although a little fiddly with the sewing together afterwards. I’m sure there must be a way to avoid that. I’ll save figuring that out for a future pair of slippers maybe if this felting thing works out. My happy model was willing to put on Mama’s ridiculously large slippers to show some scale.
The knitting for the felted clog is coming along quickly. I’m happy with my colour selection although I realised that I goofed with the amounts. The sole (orange) takes twice as much yarn as the upper (pink). I had one ball of orange and two of pink. Woops! A quick stop at my LYS one day and the project continues. I’m pleased with the difference between the felted swatch and my knitting. It looks like there’ll be hope for this project as long as I have faith in my swatch.
Every year the West Coast Knitters’ Guild knits mittens for a kindergarten or grade one class in New York City. One of our members has a daughter who teaches at an inner city NYC public school. These little kids go to school without proper clothing in the winter and it’s the least our membership can do to help out. Last month when Laura went to visit her daughter Annie for Christmas she was able to bring enough mittens for two grade one classes, thanks to our efforts. In read more